Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pre-op Tuesday

So today was our pre-op before Atticus' Fontan.  Our morning started by checking in at 9AM.  We had the usual round of EKG, echocardiogram, blood labs, chest x-ray, and meetings with all the various doctors, surgeons, anthestiologist, and cardiologists.  Roughly 6 hours later, we were leaving the hospital for the last time before our big day.

Atticus handled everything pretty well. He's still not a fan of the EKG. Not at all. But thankfully he didn't fight them too much, so it was over quickly.  Atticus was a champ for his x-ray and echocardiogram though.  Baby H was with us too, and she did really well too. ;)

We have to check in at 5:30AM tomorrow morning. By the time Dr B gets started and we get out first text, it should be around 9-9:30AM. If all goes well, he should hopefully done with surgery and back in the PCICU between 3-5pm.  Please keep Atticus, Dr B, Robbie and I, and those involved in his care in your prayers. Not only for a smooth surgery, but for a smooth recovery as well.

I wish I could adequately describe the rollercoaster of emotions right now. Tomorrow is a day we knew would come for almost the 5 years. It like the end of a long chapter, yet somehow strangely unfamiliar at the same time. Its terrifying and comforting in a odd way too. But its also heart breaking. To save my son, I have to willingly let the surgeons break his sternum and stop his heart.  I have to trust a group of people to fight for my son as much as I would.  Its nauseating.

I know that God has a plan for Atticus. Please pray that God's plan allows for the surgery to be successful, and for Atticus to heal quickly.  Please also pray for strength for Robbie and I. These surgeries never seem to get easier.  I'll try to post quick updates as we get them tomorrow. Thanks in advance, and as always (and especially now!), Keep on prayin'!


No comments:

Post a Comment