Monday, March 15, 2010

I can't sleep

I can't sleep right now. Sandy and Gideon are off to spend the next two nights with Grandma Hemrick & Aunt Isabelle. Robbie and I are off to Charleston tomorrow to bring Atticus home for the first time ever! One night at my Dad's in Mt P (so we can be close to the hospital for the 1st night, and so that they can have a night to love on Atticus after housing me and taking care of me for the last 5 months), then home to Aiken! Thanks to Uncle Sam who will let Robbie take three days off so that we can have a few days together with all the kids for the first time (hope we have enough to make a down payment on a new house, though! lol).

But Thanks most of all to such an awesome God that has made this situation what it has been. I have certainly found myself drawn closer to the Lord than I ever thought possible. Thank you all for your many prayers. Atticus has been through so much in the last 5 months that it seems almost surreal that he is finally coming home for the first time. I feel humbled to know that so many people are pulling for my little man, and that you have shared his story with other people who are pulling for him that we've never even met. I'm trying to get to sleep, but I'm just too full of anticipation, joy, and overwhelming gratefulness....I really think I'm going to burst. The hospital gave Atticus a little heart pillow that people can write messages on, after his first heart surgery. I left it down in the PCICU for all the doctors and nurses to sign. Various family members had already signed it, but now, I don't think you could possibly fit another signature on it. Some messages are short, others take up enitre sections of the pillow, but they all show the depth to which this little man's story has reached out to so many people already in such a realtively short time. As I often repeat, Atticus' story is one of God's amazing healing power, the power of prayer, and God's awesome grace. He blessed us in all aspects of this leg of our journey. from not having to worry about a place to stay (Thanks Dad and Crissie) to not having to worry about my other children's care (Thanks my wonderful Hubbie, Mom, Sister, Mother-in-law, and Sister-in-law), to having a wonderful husband to stand by my side through many "for better or for worse" moments, to a supporting church family and friends that helped us through so many means (prayers, money, cards, calls, food, baby sitting, advice, and on and on and on....),to the wonderful doctors, nurses, surgeons, respiratory techs, and staff that care so deeply in seeing Atticus get better and that have invested so much of themselves in him, to those who kept me sane through the diffcult times you all know who you are ;).

I am simply overwhelmed. There is still a long road ahead. But I am stopping to celebrate today. This is a major answer to my prayers. I look at the crib in our room and realize that it won't be long until it's no longer empty. That soon I won't be driving back and forth, leaving part of my family no matter which way I was traveling. All 3 children will be home under my roof. I will be home with my husband. We have so much to be grateful for, that I don't think all of cyberspace could contain it. I think I've finally managed to stay up long enough to make myself tired. Gotta try to get some sleep before we have to get on the road! Good nite to all! And as always...Keep on prayin'!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment