Friday, July 20, 2012

A change of plans

Well, its been a busy few weeks, and a lot has happened, so I'll do my best to update.

Atticus' original surgery date was bumped back from July 11th to today, July 20th. They had a few emergency cases come in that week, so we got rescheduled. We came down yesterday to MUSC for Atticus' pre-op work up, only to receive more news that floored us.

There has been another change in plans for surgery for Atticus. He won't be having his Fontan procedure today as we originally planned. Instead, Dr Bradley has decided to attempt to repair Atticus' Tricuspid Valve as well as a narrowing in his aorta. He decided that these procedures needed to take precedent over the Fontan, which has now been delayed for at least a year.

We were stunned by the news yesterday. I thought this was going to be attempted at the same time as the Fontan (because that was the plan in January), and I'm not quite sure what exactly Dr Bradley saw in the pre-op work up that changed his mind, but I have to trust his judgement that trying to do both procedures at once would be too much on Atticus' heart. Its frustrating to get yourself prepared for something like this, only to thrown a major curveball. But Atticus has never been good at doing anything "normal" when it comes to open heart surgery, lol.

Although I'm disappointed that this means that we will still have another open heart surgery in the future, I have to trust that this too is all part of God's plan for Atticus. I know that He is always in control, even when I feel helpless. Please continue to keep us in your prayers today as Atticus is already in the OR, waiting for surgery to begin. Pray for Atticus, those involved in his care, for strength for Robbie and I as we deal with these changes, and wisdom to make the right decisions. I'll update later today as surgery progresses. Just Keep on Praying!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment