Friday, July 29, 2011

Did you really just say.......?

Hey everyone!  Just wanted to give a quick update on Atticus.  He's doing much better since my last post.  Thankfully, we haven't had any repeats of that performance.  We had our cardiology visit on Monday, and everything is doing well.  His heart function is good, and he's up to 26lbs and 34 inches long!  Dr Williams decided to do another echocardiogram since it had been about 6 months since his last one.  Atticus was pretty well behaved during the process, but you can tell he's starting to get to the age where he really doesn't like lying still for that long.

Everything was going fine just like a normal check-up, when Dr Williams brought up the subject of Atticus's Fontan.  He thinks that after his next visit in October (a few weeks after his 2nd birthday), we should probably start the process for the next open heart surgery, with it probably be scheduled sometime in January 2012.  I'll admit that I've know that this day would be coming since I learned of Atticus's heart condition at around 24 weeks gestation, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks.  His decision was based more on Atticus's weight than anything to do with his heart function, but it still makes me panic just a little.  I can't help but think about everything we went through with Atticus during that first 160 days.  My mind starts going down all the little "what if" rabbit trails, and I have to force myself to focus on today, the here and now.  Nothing is set in stone yet, so there's no sense in worrying about something that hasn't happened yet, I keep reminding myself.

Other than that, Atticus is doing great!  His PT and OT are having to both come up with a new list of goals for him because he's managed to finally check them all off!  We've been practicing walking in his reverse walker, he's finally letting objects go inside of a container, he's starting to learn more and more signs, and he's getting more and more imaginative in his play!  Atticus LOVES the video series Signing Time.  He's made the connection that the signs mean different things, and he's fascinated.  He's learned to sign: ball, more, Mommy, Daddy, baby, book, water, sleepy, "Signing Time", eat, fish, dog, flower, bye-bye, milk, cheese, and he recognizes even more signs!  Everytime he sees a TV he starts making the sign for "Signing Time".  He even did it when we were having his echocardiogram done.  lol!  He thought the screen for the machine was a TV!

I think that's about all for now.  I'll keep everyone updated as we learn more about Atticus's Fontan.  Until then, keep on prayin!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for participating in my blog linking event and sharing Atticus' story!

    ReplyDelete