Monday, October 12, 2009

The wisdom of a 4 year old

This story was too precious to me not to pass it along.  Also, feel free to pass along to your friends and family if you choose.  As many of you know, my husband and I just had our 3rd child on October 5th, 2009.  His name is Robert Gary Atticus Goodahl, as we call him Baby Atticus.  He was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, which requires multiple surgeries to correct.  Tomorrow is the big day for Atticus to have the first of the surgeries at 1 week old.  This is by far the riskiest of the surgeries.  My husband and I have been at the hospital pretty late and came home to my Dad's house to try to get some rest before we have to get up and be at the hospital very early in the morning. 

My husband snuck into the bedroom, where my 4 year old daughter Sandy was already sleeping in the bed.  He was in the bathroom, and she woke up due to the light coming out from the door.  Robbie (my husband) walked out of the bathroom, and she softly called out to him asking if we had been to see baby Atticus.  He walked over and sat on the edge of the bed and the following exchange ensued:

Daddy: "Yes we went to see baby Atticus and he say he loves you and misses you and can't wait to see you.  You know that baby Atticus might not be able to come home.  He might die.  God might decide that Atticus needs to come home with Him."

Sandy: "Yeah.  I know.  It makes me sad sometimes."

Daddy: "That's alright.  It's ok to be sad."

Sandy:  "It makes me a little mad too."

Daddy:  "It's ok to be mad too, just not at anyone in particular.  It's nobody's fault.  Some things just happen.  And you can't be mad at God either because if God decides to take Baby Atticus home with Him, we can't be mad about that because that means that he gets to go to Heaven and be with Jesus.  And what could be better than that?"

Sandy:  "I know.  You know, Daddy, do you know what happens when you die? 

Daddy:  "What's that Sandy?"

Sandy:  "When you die, and you go to heaven and you meet Jesus, that's when you REALLY become alive."


As Robbie came out and told me this story, I realized that the old saying was true,..."Out of the mouth of babes..."  It's amazing to see the truth revealed through the simplicity of a child's explanation.  Please continue to pray for Atticus, that all goes well, and that we as parents can be as strong as our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment